Literary Activism

Harriet Levin Millan

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Back to Nairobi

The power in the hotel was too inconsistent to keep this blog, so I'll just recount some of the things I did after I returned to Nairobi and post some pictures.  The opening party for Kwani LitFest was incredible! I met Kenyan writers, some of them heros whose books I read years ago, Ngugi Wa Thiango'O among them!  Some other authors who were there were Binyavanga Wainaina, Marjorie Oludhe Macgoye, Micere Mugo and Eva Kasava.  The party was held at themansion of a Kenyan musican, whose name I don't know, but another musican, Atemi Hatimaye played and I bought her CD.  It's great! We also attended the launching of the new issue of Kwani at the National Museum, that's the Museum where Leaky's skulls are exhibited! Both events were extremely exclusive with beautiful talented people. I hope I stay in touch with all the Kenyan authors I met. Some of them live in the US having been forced to exile.

No comments: