Literary Activism

Harriet Levin Millan

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Last Day in Lamu

I took some amazing pictures of the Masai in Lamu and will post them.  The Masai live still immersed in traditional ways.  Last spring, Joseph Tipanko, a Masai activist and leader came tot he States and I saw him many times and I contacted him here and he's invited me to his village. So I may have the opportunity to go to a real Masai village and spend the night there.  The Masai are so sweet.  One of them showed me the scar from where he killed a lion--part of their initiation is to be alone in the woods and not come back until they've killed a lion.  And he showed me the claw around his neck that he wears from the lion he killed.  

2 comments:

Mrs. Cohan said...

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing experiences!!

ed said...

What an experience you are living. Keep up these great moments.
Pictures are terrific, can not wait to see the next group.

We are going to see Teddi Sat. and see a show in ny.

Love , Dad/Mom